Sunday, October 16, 2011

"What's Mom Cooking?"


It's apple season so for this posting of "What's Mom Cooking?" I'm sharing my fried apple recipe with you. If you have ever been to a Cracker Barrel Restaurant then chances are you might have tried their delicious fried apples. If so you might think this recipe tastes just like theirs.....or pretty close to it! I grew up with fried apples being served as a side dish and still enjoy them today as much as I did as a kid. However they are just as good for desert with a scoop of ice cream or for breakfast over pancakes or waffles.

Here is the recipe for easier copying and printing:

Fried Apples

Serve 4

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups apple cider
4 large Golden Delicious apples peeled, 1/2" wedges
1/2 cup apple cider
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons sugar

PREPARATION:

Combine first measure of apple cider and apples in a medium skillet. Simmer gently and turn apples often with spatula until fork tender but not mushy. Remove with a slotted spoon to oven dish. In blender puree 1/2 c apple cider, cornstarch, cinnamon and sugar. Blend a few seconds until smooth. Stir into hot juice in skillet and cook, stirring constantly on med-high until it bubbles and becomes thickened and smooth. Turn heat off. Pour over apples.

Serve warm as side dish or dessert. Refrigerate to use in a few days or freeze.

Variation: Sometimes I will use Granny Smith Apples in place of the Golden Delicious Apples. When doing so I double the amount of apples as the Granny Smith run smaller.

Enjoy and thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Claire said...

What a fab recipe card. Love it. Hugs, Claire x

Becky said...

This is a great recipe card, I have to start making some of these :).

I have been to Cracker Barrel and I must say tho their food is good it is not as good as my families cooking:). On Sunday's We have fried apple's for Breakfast with grits, eggs and bacon. Girl, I am making myself hungry :)