Sunday, September 11, 2011

"What's Mom Cooking?"


Recently I did some major closet cleaning and while doing so I ran across a big black 3 ring binder that was full of recipes from my mother. When I was a kid she would clip and collect recipes from newspapers, friends and family. She had a box full of favorite recipes. One really cold and snowy winter she handed me the big box of recipes and this big 3 ring binder and asked me to sort and organize all her recipes. So I did and that 3 ring binder became a treasured source of favorite recipes for years. Now my mom is gone and those pages are becoming yellow and brittle. On some the ink is fading but it is still as valuable to me now as it was back when I organized the book for my mom.

This got me to thinking that I really need to record and put together favorite recipes of mine for my kids. I have attempted this project before but never have got too far with it but this time I am making it my Fall / Winter project. It is my plan to also incorporate this into my paper crafting by making 6 x 6 pages displaying my recipes. I thought I would share my recipes and pages with you...my crafty friends! So every Sunday I will post "What's Mom Cooking?".

I'm going to start with some recipes that I already have made into pages from swaps that I participated in and made an extra copy for myself. This first recipe is simple, quick and easy to make. When my son left for the East coast two years ago for college he had me teach him how to make some of my dishes. This was one he asked for first. He told me that on Thursday night a big group of his friends would get together and cook dinner and have family night to help with being away from home and missing their families. He quite often made this recipe for the dessert.

Above is the picture of my recipe page and here is the recipe for easier reading:

Hawaiian Cobbler

The cake that looks and taste like a cobbler.

Ingredients:

> 1 can (21 ounce) cherry pie filling

> 1 can (20 ounce) crushed pineapple in juice – do not drain

> 1 box yellow cake mix

> 1 stick butter or margarine cut into pieces

> 1 stick butter or margarine, melted

> 1 cup flaked coconut

> 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Using a 9 x 13 pan, dump the ingredients into pan and spread or smooth in this order; cherry pie filling, undrained pineapple, dry cake mix. Arrange pieces of butter on top, evenly. Pour ½ cup melted butter over the top evenly. Top with the flaked coconut and chopped pecans. DO NOT MIX! Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour. Serve warm or cold. Great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!


This recipe is also known as Dump Cake and I have seen it made with different variations such as substituting the fruit with peaches or apples. I plan on trying it with mix berries one day too! This has been a family favorite for years and I hope you will give it a try too. Would love to hear if you have any other variations of this recipe as well.

Another family favorite is coming up next week for "What's Mom Cooking?" Baked French Toast!

5 comments:

Judy said...

I love this stuff. I still have your page from that swap. I'm going to have to make that soon. I like it with all kinds of fruit. Fruit cocktail is good. Great idea for creating the recipe book for your kids too. That will be fun!

Teresa Arsenault said...

Susan, this is a fabulous idea. What a keepsake from your mom. And I could see you using the digital scrapbook software to easily generate your own recipe pages.

I don't usually copy recipes, especially for baking, but I printed yours out and I am definitely going to try it. I look forward to the next recipe.

Blessings,
Teresa

Rhonda Miller said...

What a fun idea. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Teresa Arsenault said...

Hi Susan. I see Rhonda found you and your delicious recipe. Now, I have to share a funny with you.

Your recipe calls for "untrained" pineapple. Now, I don't usually train my pineapple. I wouldn't have the first idea of how to begin to train my pineapple, so untrained works for me.

Really I figured it was a cultural thing. You know, how Brits call a recently neutered cat, "recently dressed"? I figured it must mean not drained. It wasn't until I was actually pouring the pineapple into the pan that I put it together. Untrained.. untrained.. undrained. I'm such a goof.

Anyway, thanks for the laugh, even if it was at myself. :D

Blessings,
Teresa

Teresa Arsenault said...

Yes, Susan. I'm sorry to say that it is true. Canadians do not train their pineapples. :(